*L'kabbalah l'emet ul'kehilla: For LGBT acceptance, truth and community with a Jewish flare*

21 January 2009

Excerpt from 'U, Sex and the Town' Episode 3

The door to Deandre Archer’s apartment opened slowly and he looked at me with a look of confusion. Deandre, who goes by his middle name Chris, was my neighbor and an ex client of my down at the Arbitrary firm. He had his rectangular glasses on his head and he wore a tank top, revealing his athletically built, mocha frappuccino looking skin. Any other time, I would have came all on myself, but his energy was giving off a kill joy mood.

“Kenny, what are you doing here?”

I looked down to the ground and then over to my right, catching my best friend Junior Ross getting on the elevator after I told him to leave.

“Kenny?” Chris called as I snapped in attention to him.

“Oh, yeah, I just needed to talk to you real quick.”

“Who was that guy I’ve been seeing you all over? Was he the one who told me to get out?” I could sense a bit of jealousy in his voice but it didn’t make any sense to me why he was even getting to that point. It was flattering to see he still remembered that situation in my house.

“That’s William, we are going to try and rekindle our relationship.” I defended quickly, “But I need to talk to you about something more important.”

His eyes faded into attention on the wall behind me and his mind seemed to be distant but I continued talking anyway.

“Seeing how you wanted friends’ in the building, I wanted to be the first to accept that invitation.” I smiled nervously but I got no response.

“Well,” I continued softly, “I just got some news that got me a bit down and I need some support. I just found out that I am HIV positive.”

His eyes fell on me quickly, angrily and mixed with concern.

“Aren’t you gay?” he coldly asked as if it was a matter of fact.

“Yes? What does that-"

“Well, I’m sorry to hear that.” He muttered.

“I don’t need pity, just support.”

“Oh, well, then, I can’t help you.” He finished emotionlessly and closed the door right after. I was stunned, appalled and let my mind race with all kinds of questions. Was something wrong with him? Did something happen in his life? Was William making him jealous? It was too confusing and was making my head hurt.

No comments: