*L'kabbalah l'emet ul'kehilla: For LGBT acceptance, truth and community with a Jewish flare*

05 January 2009

Excerpt from 'U, Sex and the Town' Episode 1

The ride to Muir Beach usually consists of just me and Junior, but since Teddy didn’t drive to work today, he tagged along. Our last installment to the group of extraordinary people is Tonya Brown, my long time high school friend, meets us up there. Since she lives in Point Richmond, she just takes off the days we head to the Mount and drives the few minutes without coming to the city. The real action is watching the trivial bickering that Teddy and Tonya do. A main reason for it is because, one, they cannot stand each other and two, Tonya is a bonafide bisexual turned lesbian and Teddy is a selfish homosexual who thinks all her men are gay. The only common denominator between the two, other than the rumor of shared men, is me.

After climbing and dodging death on the large rocks and boulders, we made it to the top of the cliff we dubbed ‘The Mount’. The sun was just about to meet the horizon when we had settled and sat on the edge of the cliff. I sat with my legs crossed as Tonya sat on my right, Junior on my left and Teddy on Junior’s left. For once, we all just sat in silence looking at the fuchsia lit skyline kissing the rippling blue ocean. The clouds reflected the colors, making it look like a ring of fire in the sky. Five minutes of silence was around us before Tonya broke it.

“So how’s Leon?” she asked me.

“Is that the only way you guys know how to start a conversation with me?” I asked.

“Well, you tend to focus on one guy when you meet him.” Tonya confessed.

“Especially if you only they option and not they priority.” Junior added.

“Not you too, Junior.”

“Hell, girl, it’s the truth.” Teddy chimed in, “You are hanging onto a whim and a prayer with this guy, hoping he’ll what? Pick you to fuck exclusively?”

“Which will not happen.” Junior affirmed, placing his hand on the back of my head, “Why should it?”

“He makes me smile,” I sighed, tearing up a bit, “And he is nice and wonderful.”

“Nice and wonderful just doesn’t cut it anymore,” Tonya declared, “If he can’t see you for more than a piece of ass then you don’t need him.”

“Is the sex that good?” Teddy asked.

I sighed again.“It’s great.”

“That ain’t enough either,” he asserted, “ I’d rather you mess with your neighbor you met today than with Leon.”

Simultaneously, Junior and Tonya snapped their heads in attention at me.

“WHO?” they sang.

I rolled me eyes at Junior.“You already know, Junior. The guy that came to my job.”

“He came to your job?” Teddy outburst, “Bitch, and you didn’t tell me?”

“It was irrelevant.”

“Don’t throw them two cent words at me.”

“I didn’t know he was your neighbor.” Junior butted in, “How close?”

“Across the hall,” Teddy answered before I could, “Miss Thang had a klutz attack and Prince Charming was at his aid.”

“What’s his name?” Tonya asked.

“Chris.”

“Chris?” Teddy pondered, “He sounds familiar.”

“Because it’s a common name you idiot.” Tonya exclaimed.

Really? Let’s count how many Chris’s and Christina’s been up in your pussy. And that counts Chris with a C and a K. Christians’ and Christophers’. Chris spelled with an H and without an H.”

“Boy, shut up.” Junior snapped and then turned to me, “Anyways, so are you going to apologize for being a bitch to him?”

“How surprising,” Teddy commented.

“Oh, get this, he likes him now.” Junior gossiped to Teddy.

“You know, Judas must have taken lessons on betrayal from you.” I said, evil eyeing Junior, “But I will apologize tonight cause my boss wants me to cancel the meeting we are suppose to have.”

“Wait, which means, he’s married?” Tonya remarked with astonishment, “Guy or girl?”

“Girl.”

“A married man? I thought you were against that sort of thing.” Teddy yelled with a sense of smug in his voice.

“He’s getting a divorce but I don’t even know if the man is gay.” I protested, “I just have a crush on him.”

“Don’t do anything stupid.” Junior added, “You know nothing about him. We don’t want another crazed man coming after you like your ex did.”

I gasped softly. I had purposely blocked out my ex, William of five years in the state of Virginia, out of my mind. After he left me for a shorter, more muscular Spanish bottom, he claimed I cheated on him before then and stalked me for months vowing revenge. He left threatening messages, emails and letters saying he would see me dead then with anyone else. I never went to the police because I was scared. However, he never tried anything physical but I wasn’t waiting around till that day came. So I packed up and moved to Oakland. For so long, I didn’t deal with the pain and loss I had over him and it was all coming back at once. I didn’t realize that tears were swelling up in my eyes and some streaming down my face. I felt Tonya’s hand on my thigh and Junior’s arm around my neck. Teddy had gotten up and wrapped his arms around my waist and together we all watched the sun set. Today I was going to rest this pain with the sun and start anew when it rose again tomorrow.

No comments: