*L'kabbalah l'emet ul'kehilla: For LGBT acceptance, truth and community with a Jewish flare*

07 November 2010

For Colored Queens, sorry Girls...

After much debate, persecution and told that I should have my 'black card' revoked, I am doing a blog review on what I thought on Miss Perry's current movie 'For Colored Girls.' As I sit and wait for the NAACP to call my cell phone, I will say that I thought the movie was yet again an adaptation of homophobia, bigotry and an explotation of stereotypes. The main point that made this movie bullshit, yes I said it, BULLSHIT to me was the fact that Janet Jackson's husband (played by Omari Hardwick) had to be a DL, self hating bisexual who (wait for it) infected Janet with, yes, HIV. Like the black community doesn't hate the gay community enough, let's exploit the fact that black gay men can't be anything more than disease carrying, down low brother's who are incapable of having an honest relationship with neither a male or female. Not only that, he contacted the virus from a random hooker, like it would be taboo to have him contact something from a lawyer, doctor or some other degree carrying citizen. Why was this story arc introduced? Nevertheless, I digress.

The acting in the movie was phenomenal I thought, and if it wasn't for these cast members, the movie wouldn't have been as intense as it was. Whoopi Goldberg had the fanatic Christian role down to a tea and Phylicia Rashad was beautiful and dynamic. I was very impressed by the evil incarnation that Michael Ealy played and I was thoroughly moved by Loretta Devine and her constant role she plays. But still love her in everything. Well not Dreamgirls, but that was a cameo, so it doesn't count.

But by all means, don't take my word for it. Go see for yourself. One of my best friend loved it and we are, gasp, still friends. Yet and still, I am waiting on that call.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And yep i am still your friend. the movie is going to be taken in different ways by everyone. so you keep saying how you perceived it and respect the way others did and everyone will be okay. The movie was intense and the acting was great. i'll be getting it on dvd (and not bootleg either lol)